ROSE BAKERY NOBLE CARROT CAKE
Rose Bakery was on my list of bakeries to visit when Erin, my husband and I went on our honey moon to Paris in 2014. A few foodies mentioned the bakery as a must see and of course we immediately had it on our bucket list. I must mention that we also visited 9 bakeries in total and even did a search for the best croissant adventure (which sadly ended up in concluding that the best croissant is from Tartine Bakery in SFO!). However Rose Bakery really inspired and satisfied our foodie cravings. And of course I came back ready to make my version of this divine cake and who does not love a very good carrot cake? This as a pound cake reminds me of the French Gateaux de Voyage/ travel cakes I really love! I have made so many carrot cakes I probably can’t recall how many, but I do know that when you find a recipe you love these standards are hard to beat. Enjoy and explore this new cake. It’s all about proportions and balance.
- 2 large eggs, organic pasture raised at room temperature
- 5 gr vanilla
- 112 gr low glycemic sweetener of choice such as Lakanto Golden or half Lakanto Golden and half coconut sugar
- 150 ml avocado oil (3/4 cup)
- 3 medium carrots finely grated aprox 1½ cups
- 150 gr gluten free flour of choice (or you can use spelt flour if you don’t want or need it to be gf) for the gluten free flour I used Bobs Red Mill all purpose 1:1 flour blue label only. I prefer spelt flour and love Bob's Red Mill
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I prefer Ceylon cinnamon)
- 0.5 gr/ ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg or tonka bean
- 4 gr/ 1 teaspoon aluminium free and gluten free baking powder such as Rumford or Bobs Red Mill/ at high altitude use 2 gr/ ½ teaspoon
- 1 gr/ ¼ teaspoon baking soda/ at high altitude use ⅛ teaspoon
- 4 gr/ 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 75 gr chopped pecans or walnuts toasted and chopped
- Healthy confectioner’s sugar such as Swerve
- Matcha tea/ culinary grade
- 60 gr butter american style unsalted butter is better here for frostings such as Land O Lakes (room temperature) you can also use a vegan butter or grass fed butter
- 125 gr cream cheese (room temperature) you can also use vegan cream cheese
- 5 gr vanilla (you can use vanilla bean powder or vanilla paste)
- 35 gr healthy confectioner’s sugar such as Swerve
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat convection oven to 165 c.
- Grease and line the bottom of a pound cake pan with parchment paper. Or use a silicone pan.
- Sift flour, leavening and spices.
- In a large bowl by hand, mix with a whisk: eggs, vainilla, sweetener.
- Add oil and mix to combine.
- Add carrots and pecans.
- Add flour and mix until integrated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean approx. 20 mins. depending on the pan and oven.
- Remove from oven, let cool for about 10 -15 mins, unmold onto a perforated tray or cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Decorate with either the healthy confectioner’s sugar or the frosting.
- In a Kitchen Aid mixer with a paddle: mix butter, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla, salt and cream cheese until creamy.
- Don’t over mix.
[social_warfare buttons=”Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Total”]
I hate spam as much as you do! I’ll only be sharing my best recipes and special offers. You can unsubscribe from receiving my emails at any time.