GREEN APPLE PIE
This is one of my husband’s favorite new recipe. His Mom was a home baker and he grew up loving apple pie. This is my version of a much healthier pie, gluten free, dairy free and sugar free. The best of all worlds and one you can easily adapt with seasonal fruit.
A classic revisited. And a dream come true. Most ingredients can be found in your local Whole Foods store, HEB, Central Market. So simple.
- 1 cup Gf all purpose flour such as: Pillsbury All Purpose flour which has pea protein (you can find this flour at HEB)
- 1 cup gf oatmeal flour such as Bobs Red Mill
- 1 teaspoon Swerve Sweetener
- ⅛ teaspoon Maldon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla such as Nielsen Massey
- ⅓ cup coconut oil Organic Coconut Oil extra virgin unmelted
- ½ cup white wine (I suggest a fruity white wine) or Vodka
- 4 medium small granny smith apples peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Noble brown sugar* (see recipe bellow)
- 30 gr/ 2 tablespoons Ghee melted / you can use coconut oil or vegan butter for a dairy free option
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon/ I love Penzeys Spices
- ⅓ cup gluten free flour such as Pillsbury All Purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Maldon Salt or fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened dried cherries from Trader Joes
- 60 gr coconut oil extra virgin/ not melted
- 60 gr almond flour (I love HEB brand)
- 60 gr gf oat flour such as Bobs Red Mill
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Maldon Salt
- Combine dry ingredients, whisk.
- Add coconut oil in solid form mix using your fingers until the flour resembles coarse sand. Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix.
- Add white wine little by little and mix with your hands until well incorporated and you form a ball.
- Mix the dough by hand lightly until smooth. Don’t over mix.
- Flatten the dough and wrap dough in plastic wrap for 10 mins.
- Grease a pie pan with coconut oil spray (look at my beautiful new pie pan which is custom made by Designs by Kace).
- Roll out the dough to fill the pie pan. Put an industrial plastic wrap or parchment paper over the pie dough and put ceramic pie weights on top.
- Pre bake the pie crust at 350 F until lightly golden and dough feels dry. Remember it will be baked again with the filling and crumble.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl by hand or with a spatula until a crumbly dough is formed.
- Remove from pre baked pie crust from the oven and let cool for about 5 mins.
- Add the pie filling and crumble on top and bake for another 20 mins or until apples feel soft when you cut through them with a pairing knife.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Un mold over a plate and cut with a serrated knife and serve immediately with raspberries or coconut cream.
Mix 2 cups Swerve granular sweetener + 4 tablespoons of molasses (molasses have a large amount of iron, calcium and magnesium) by hand until a brown sugar is formed.
This is my favorite healthy low glycemic brown sugar!!