If you are gluten free I am sure you have searched for the perfect pound cake recipe.
I am so excited to share this new lemon raspberry cake with you all! It is everything you dreamed of: light, spongy, citrusy, naturally sweet, balanced, super easy and fast to make and the glaze is dreamy. Thanks to Maskal Teff™ for sponsoring this post!! All opinions are my 100 % my own. Thank you for continuing to support the brands who make Vanessa Musi possible!
When Maskal Teff™ reached out to me and asked me to create a Master Pound Cake recipe using their amazing teff flours, I was dreaming up ways to highlight their Ivory Teff four which is a fascinating ancient grain that has so many health benefits you wouldn’t believe it. I had baked with brown teff flour before but had not explored Ivory teff flour until my husband Erin and I discovered the most amazing Ivory Teff tortillas in the super market when we decided to go gluten free and that is how I found Maskal Teff™.
I wanted to create something new and I was inspired by the French Pastry Cakes de Voyage (travel Cakes) made with almond flour. The best recipes are those you can adapt and personalize don’t you think?
Teff is a nutritional power horse! It is an ancient grain, loaded with fiber, protein, all 9 essential amino acids, rich in calcium and iron and really a great ancient grain to add to your flour repertoire. Especially when you want to add more nutrient dense flours to your recipes. It bakes very well!
Here are my tips: (note all opinions are mine) to use teff in your recipes use only half of the what your recipe calls for of flour: add in lighter flours like I did: such as almond flour, a gluten free flour blend (I made my own: recipe below) or use spelt or a starchy flour to lighten the teff flour. It also bakes best with moist ingredients such as buttermilk, yogurt, coconut milk, olive oil. Please note: all opinions are my own.
- Ingredients: Makes: 1 medium cake
- 3 eggs: large, organic, pasture raised at room temperature
- 75 grams coconut sugar, Stir Sweetener or organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil or ghee, melted
- ¼ cup buttermilk or almond milk
- 50 grams almond flour
- 80 gr Maskal Teff Ivory flour
- 20 gr tapioca starch aka tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (at high altitude use half a teaspoon)
- optional flavors: zest of 2 lemons or 1 orange or 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- Variations: add in ingredients: 1 cup berries: raspberries, or blueberries or cherries or mixed berries or frozen cranberries or chocolate chunks or pecans
- To sprinkle before baking optional
- ¼ cup raw blanched silvered almonds
- To decorate:
- Coconut milk powder to decorate
- Preheat convection oven to 345 F, (173 C)
- Grease a medium size loaf cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift almond flour, teff flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda + salt.
- In a mixer with a whisk mix egg, vanilla, maple syrup, sweetener of choice at medium speed until fluffy (it won’t double in volume) add coconut oil and mix until combined. Add buttermilk or almond milk just to combine.
- Add the sifted flour mix and combine. Add the zest of choice or nothing and mix.
- Add the add in ingredients of choice (reserve a few to put on top of the cake), mix batter lightly with a plastic spatula.
- Pour batter onto prepared cake pan.
- Put the almonds on top, sprinkle some of the reserved add ins and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Aprox 35 mins: time will depend on your pan, oven and add in ingredients. Remove from
- Note: you can also decorate the cake with a Millenium pink raspberry glaze:
- cup coconut milk powder sifted
- ¼ cup powdered Swerve: sifted
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla powder
- ¼ cup crushed raspberries crushed and strained
- Mix in a bowl with a whisk until combined: check consistency it might need more liquid or thicken with more coconut milk powder.
¾ cup brown rice flour must be superfine (I use Bobs Red Mill)
¼ cup potato starch
⅛ cup white rice flour must be superfine (I use Bobs Red Mill)
⅛ cup tapioca starch
I hate spam as much as you do! I’ll be sharing my best recipes and special offers for live classes and online events. You can unsubscribe from receiving my emails at any time.