Do you LOVE chocolate cake? I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t. And I get a TON of requests for vegan and gluten free chocolate cakes or pastries that taste the same as traditional cakes, so I went on a quest to create the chocolate vegan gluten free madeleines of my dreams. And voilà here they are.
Really! These are delicious and so easy to make. They are like that little black dress that you can dress up or down. The texture is just perfect. I developed this recipe for one of my favorite brands: Flexipan for their launch of their new line of Silpat molds they made exclusively for Williams Sonoma (they are beautiful and very functional). Thanks to Flexipan by Demarle for sponsoring the molds for this recipe.
This recipe is a perfect example of how important a well balanced recipe is: and how great baking is all about proportions. Plus this chocolate glaze is the bomb! And it’s a timeless recipe I learned from one of my favorite Pastry Chefs: Sarah Kosikowski from Valrhona.
Save this glaze recipe because it is the perfect back pocket recipe and you can have it made beforehand. It is life changing.
134 gr 75 % chocolate, chopped (use the best quality such as Valrhona)
41 gr avocado oil
11 gr cacao nibs
In a glass bowl: melt chocolate in a microwave, add the oil and cocoa nibs and mix well. Use warm
- 135 gr my gluten free flour blend (see recipe bellow)
- 30 gr red cocoa (I love Santa Barbara Chocolate!)
- ½ cup organic cane sugar/ or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (at high altitude use ½ teaspoon)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅔ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon applesauce, unsweetened (I made my own in Thermomix using Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Put a Madeleine Silpat mold onto a perforated tray. In a bowl, sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add sugar, mix. Add almond milk, vanilla, apple sauce yogurt, oil and vinegar. Mix with a whisk by hand until integrated. Put the batter into a pastry bag fill the madeleine mold ⅔ -¾ full. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean aprox 15 mins depends on your oven. Remove and un mold. Let cool. Freeze madeleines and decorate with Chocolate Glaze
672 gr glutinous rice flour: buy in oriental stores
672 gr brown rice flour: (Bobs Red Mill brand preferably)
672 gr white rice flour: (Bobs Red Mill brand preferred)
2 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
Mix well all the flours in a bowl with a balloon whisk, store the flours in a closed container in a dry, cool and dark place preferably. Use what recipe calls for